This post features:
- A Savvima review of Fresh & Easy Kosher Cooking by Leah Schapira.
- A chance to win a free copy of Fresh & Easy Kosher Cooking by Leah Schapira!
As a foodie, I confess, I’m easily excited by the release of a new kosher cookbook!
It’s hard to predict at the time of an initial review which cookbook will become my loyal kitchen sidekick. Yet Leah Schapira’s soon to be released (November 16, 2011) cookbook, Fresh & Easy Kosher Cooking, seems to be the exception to the rule.
I was pleasantly surprised at my first perusal through this 336-page hardcover cookbook to discover that many of the recipes are in fact already my tried and true recipes.
Let me explain. As a recipe junkie, I clip recipes from all over. The pile grows and is extremely disorganized. Only the recipes which I’ve actually tried and enjoyed are included in my personal recipe binder. If a recipe fails or simply produces mediocre results I toss it.
Many of the recipes featured in Fresh & Easy Kosher Cooking are these same oldies but goodies, which I’ve saved from Leah’s features in Mishpacha and Ami magazines, and which I’ve come to depend on over the last few years. And there are many new recipes I’m eager to try.
In essence Leah Schapira’s Fresh & Easy is MY cookbook. What better endorsement can I give?
The cover, graphics, and vivid color photography throughout are what we have come to expect from Artscroll.
The recipes are organized into the standard categories: Soups, Salads, Side Dishes etc. with the added bonus of at-a-glance menus. These menus pull recipes from all categories and regroup them into handy menus for Pesach, Make-in Takeout, and Freezes Well, to name a few.
Not sure what side dish works well with a particular main? The sidebar features pairing suggestions for most main dishes.
Here are some of my family’s favorite recipes from Fresh & Easy:
- Pizza Dipping Sauce- say goodbye to leftover dry pizza crust.
- Orange Glazed Flanken –this quickly became a Pesach tradition in my home.
- Overnight Potato Kugel – I have a second copy of this recipe tucked away for Pesach.
- Deep-Dish Chocolate Chip Pies – my go-to dessert this past Sukkos.
And some new recipes I can’t wait to try:
- Double Chocolate Pecan Waffles
- Crispy Chicken Fingers with Dipping Sauce
- Flanken Egg Rolls
- Savory Hamentaschen & Apricot Dipping Sauce
- Breakfast Cheesecake- Permission to eat cheesecake for breakfast has been granted!
And of course what’s a Savvima review without a giveaway?
Leave a comment at the bottom of this post telling us one of your favorite ”tried and true” dishes for a chance to win a copy of Leah Schapira’s soon-to-be-released Fresh & Easy Kosher Cooking cookbook. Be sure to post your comment no later than Sunday, November 20, 2011.
Want a second chance to win? Submit your recipe here and your name will be entered in the giveaway a second time!
The lucky winner will be randomly selected.
Can’t wait for the giveaway? Purchase Fresh & Easy at Amazon for $23.09 (retail is $34.99).