What better project to do on a snow day than to fashion your very own snow globes featuring photos of your little ones.
Glass baby food jars
1-foot length of PVC pipe (not exactly something you have lying around but it should cost less than a dollar at a hardware store).
Clear packing tape
Glycerin (found at drug stores)
- Begin by stripping the labels from empty baby food jars. then paint the lids.
- The snow is made by “grating” PVC pipe.
- To prepare the photos for inside the jars. Print strips of images measuring 1.5 inches high by 5.75 inches wide. A clever idea is to use one smile and one frown for each strip.
- Laminate the cut strips by covering them with clear packing tape on both sides. Trim, leaving a little edge of tape all around.
- Use a bit more packing tape to secure the looped strip into a circle.
- Place them into the jars upside down.
- Then fill the jars halfway with water. Add a few drops of glycerin (about half of a capful) and then fill with more water. The glycerin helps the snow drift slowly. Clear corn syrup may do the trick too.
- Screw on the lids tightly and turn upside down.
Visit Design Mom for the complete instructions.