Thanks to Chef Albert A Bijou of Heavens Kitchen (New York) for sharing this recipe!
Such a perfect name for this squash. When baked the meat of this vegetable looks like glistening strands of pasta. For this recipe the squash is baked and then combined with feta cheese, sautéed vegetables, olive and fresh basil. If preferred that there was no dairy the feta can be substituted with tofu cubed, saitan, or a soy cheese. Please note that a bit more salt may be needed if not using the feta.
1 spaghetti squash, halved length wise & seeded
2 tablespoons canola oil (or olive oil)
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
3 tablespoons sliced black olives
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Place spaghetti squash cut sides down on the prepared baking sheet, and bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a sharp knife can be inserted with only a little resistance. Remove squash from oven, and set aside to cool down enough to be handled.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Sauté onions until tender. Add garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, and cook only until tomatoes are warm.
- Use a large spoon to scoop the stringy pulp from the squash, and place in a medium bowl. Toss with the sautéed vegetables, feta cheese, olives, and basil. Serve warm.
- Garnish with a sprig of mint or basil.
Nutrition information: servings per recipe 6 Calories: 147
Amount per serving Total Fat 9.8g Cholesterol 17mg Sodium 269mg
Total Carbs 12.8g Dietary Fiber 1g Protein 4.1g
Share your favorite recipe with fellow Savvima readers!